The Vienna Gate

The Vienna Gate

The Vienna Gate is located in the 1. district of Budapest, in the Castle district. It is named after that the road was leading to Vienna through it in the mediaval age. Former it was also called Saturday-gate as the Saturday markets were held here. In the 19th century it was reconstructed then in 1896 it was demolished. The castle gate was built in this form of nowadays  in 1936. On the top of the gate there was formed the Bastion promenade.

There are automatic bars at the gate in order to limit the number of cars the Castle district inside. Only the buses, taxis and the cars of the residents and officers are allowed to enter in the Castle district.